The PETSc maintenance e-mail, email@example.com, is intended for users to
- report bugs,
- ask for clarification,
- ask for help in tracking down bugs, and
- request new features within PETSc.
We respond to almost all email the same day and many within the hour. Please do not send maintenance requests to the individual PETSc authors; all e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org is automatically distributed to all of the PETSc authors, so our response time using this address will be fastest.
Before sending a bug report, please consult the FAQ to determine whether a fix or work-around to the problem already exists. Also, see the chapter Hints for Performance Tuning in the PETSc users manual for guidelines on achieving good efficiency within PETSc codes.
Guidelines for Bug Reports
The more information that you convey about a bug, the easier it will be for us to target the problem. We suggest providing the following information:
- Please do NOT send winmail.dat Microsoft email attachments; we cannot read them.
- Please do NOT stick huge files like configure.log DIRECTLY into the email message; instead, make them attachments.
- If the problem involves installation, send the entire configure.log and make.log as attachments.
- Machine type: (e.g., sun4)
- OS Version: (run
uname -ato get the version number)
- PETSc Version: (run PETSc program with -v, or look in include/petscversion.h)
- MPI implementation: (e.g., MPICH, LAM, IBM, SGI)
- Compiler: (e.g., Gnu C, Gnu g++, native C)
- Probable PETSc component: (for example,
Mat, Vec, Draw, KSP, etc.)
- Problem description: Also, please cut and paste error messages from the compiler, program, etc.