IOFSL: I/O Forwarding Scalability Layer
The IOFSL (I/O Forwarding Scalability Layer) project will design, build, and distribute a scalable, unified high-end computing I/O forwarding software layer that will be adopted and supported by DOE Office of Science and NNSA.
This software layer will
- Provide function shipping at the file system interface level (without requiring middleware) that enables asynchronous coalescing and I/O without jeopardizing determinism for computation;
- Offload file system function from simple or full OS client processes to a variety of targets, from another core or hardware on the same system to an I/O node on a conventional cluster or a service node on a leadership class system;
- Reduce the number of file system operations/clients that the parallel file system sees;
- Support any/all parallel file system solutions; and
- Integrate with MPI-IO and any hardware features designed to support efficient parallel I/O.