Office #: 2151
• Mathematics and Computer Science
• Argonne National Laboratory
• Fellow of the Computation Institute
• University of Chicago
| I am
Google scholar profile.
I am a member of:
- SIAM SISC associate editorial board,
- STATMOS (Research Network for Statistical Methods for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences) as Argonne National Laboratory's node director.
Check out the top of best places to be a postdoc >> [link]. Also check out some of the current postdocs' profiles [link] and a piece on national labs.
Projects - active:
Projects - retired:
Recent papers (see all):
- Shaohui Liu, Adrian Maldonado, and Emil Constantinescu, "Probabilistic analysis of masked loads with aggregated photovoltaic production." Electric Power Systems Research, Vol 189, pp. 106670, 2020. [https://arxiv.org/abs/2004.10334]
- Emil M. Constantinescu, Noemi Petra, Julie Bessac, and Cosmin G. Petra, "Statistical treatment of inverse problems constrained by differential equations-based models with stochastic terms." SIAM Journal on Uncertainty Quantification, Vol 8(1), pp. 170-197, 2020. [https://arxiv.org/abs/1810.08557]
Vishwas Hebbur Venkata Subba Rao, Romit Maulik, Emil Constantinescu, and Mihai Anitescu, "A machine learning method for computing rare event probabilities."
International Conference on Computational Science (ICCS), Submitted; 3-5 June, 2020. [https://arxiv.org/abs/2006.03466]
- Hong Zhang, Emil M. Constantinescu, and Barry F. Smith, "PETSc TSAdjoint: a discrete adjoint ODE solver for first-order and second-order sensitivity analysis." Submitted, 2019. [https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.07696]
- Hong Zhang, Zhengyu Liu, Emil M. Constantinescu, and Robert Jacob, "Stability analysis of interface conditions for ocean-atmosphere coupling." Submitted, 2019. [https://arxiv.org/abs/1909.00916]
Joseph Hart*, Julie Bessac, and Emil M. Constantinescu, "Global sensitivity analysis for statistical model parameters." SIAM/ASA Journal on Uncertainty Quantification, 7(1), 67–92, 2019. [Preprint # ANL/MCS-P8006-0817, https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.07441].
- Ahmed Attia* and Emil M. Constantinescu, "An optimal experimental design framework for adaptive inflation and covariance localization for ensemble filters." Submitted, 2018. [https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.10655]
- Valeria Mele, Emil M. Constantinescu, Luisa Carracciuolo, and Luisa D'Amore, "A PETSc parallel-in-time solver based on MGRIT algorithm." Submitted, Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, 2018.
- Hanqi Guo, Wenbin He, Sangmin Seo, Han-Wei Shen, Emil M. Constantinescu, Chunhui Liu, and Tom Peterka, "Extreme-scale stochastic particle tracing for uncertain unsteady flow visualization and analysis." IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Vol 25(9), Pages 2710-2724, 2019.
- Jiali Wang, Julie Bessac, Rao Kotamarthi, Emil M. Constantinescu, and Beth Drewniak, "Internal variability, regional climate model, spectral nudging, high spatial resolution, climate change." Climate Dynamics, Vol 50(11-12), Pages 4539-4559, 2018.
- Oana Marin*, Emil Constantinescu, and Barry Smith, "PDE-constrained optimization with spectral elements using PETSc and TAO." Submitted, 2018. [https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.01422]
- Shrirang Abhyankar, Jed Brown, Emil M. Constantinescu, Debojyoti Ghosh*, Barry F. Smith and Hong Zhang*, "PETSc/TS: A modern scalable ODE/DAE solver library." Submitted, 2018. [https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.01437]
- Julie Bessac*, Emil M. Constantinescu, and Mihai Anitescu, "Stochastic simulation of predictive space-time scenarios of wind speed using observations and physical models." Vol 12(1), Pages 432-458, Annals of Applied Statistics, 2018. [Preprint # ANL/MCS-P5432-1015, http://arxiv.org/abs/1511.09416].
Simone Marras, Michal A. Kopera, Emil M. Constantinescu, Jenny
Suckale, and Francis X. Giraldo "A residual-based shock capturing scheme for the continuous/discontinuous spectral element solution of the 2D shallow water equations." Vol. 114, Pages 45-63, Advances in Water Resources, 2018. [http://arxiv.org/abs/1607.04547]
Emil Constantinescu, "Generalizing global error estimation for ordinary differential equations by using coupled time-stepping methods." Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, Vol 332(C), Pages 140-158, 2018. (https://arxiv.org/abs/1503.05166)
Julie Bessac (2017-, Data analysis, Statistics)
Ahmed Attia (2019-, Data assimilation)
Oana Marin (2016-2018, CFD, spectral elements - PETSc; co-supervised with Barry Smith)
Hong Zhang (2016-2018, Sensitivity analysis - PETSc)
Shinhoo Kang (2019-, PDEs, CFD, multidomain simulation)
Ahmed Attia (2017-2019, Data assimilation)
Vishwas Rao (2017-2018, Data assimilation)
Julie Bessac (2014-2017, Data analysis, Statistics)
Hong Zhang (2014-2016, Sensitivity analysis - PETSc)
Zheng Zhang (2015-2016, UQ)
Debojyoti Ghosh (2013-2015, Time stepping, CFD - PETSc)
Ilias Bilionis (2013-2014, Uncertainty Quantification)
Xiaoyan Zeng (2012, UQ - UQ for the crop model in the CESM - community Earth system model)
Shrirang Abhyankar (2012-2014, Time stepping and power grid applications - PETSc)
Grad students in practicum:
Shaohui Liu (2019, graduate, Computational Applied Mathematics, Stony Brook and UTexas Austin)
Tucker Hartland (2018, graduate, Mathematics, UC Merced)
Rohit Tripathy (2017, graduate, Mechanical Engineering, Purdue)
Joey Hart (2016, graduate, Applied Mathematics, North Carolina State University)
Ahmed Attia (2015, graduate, Computer Science, Virginia Tech)
Hong Zhang (2012, graduate, Computer Science, Virginia Tech)
Alexandru Cioaca (2010, 2011, graduate, Computer Science, Virginia Tech)
Jeffrey Steward (2010, graduate, Mathematics, Florida State University)
Matthew Rocklin (2009, graduate, Computer Science, University of Chicago)
updated August 2020